Musings as I travel through life's journey

Musings as I travel through life's journey

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A Little Slice of Ganache


            I shoved the last item I could possibly jam into my suitcase and headed out the door.  As I was packing each item individually I kept thinking this is a stress I shall put a way, and this is a worry to think about later, and here is something I just don’t want to think about ever. I was in dire need of a break, so thank goodness for the opportunity to fly to Arizona.
            Shea and I stepped off the plane, and headed for baggage claim. I saw Toni and immediately a huge grin grew across my face. It is so nice to get away for a while. Not to escape, but to have a little break. We talked for 2 hours about life, and everything Mr. Hayashi (my choir director) from high school has been up to. We arrived at their house and had enough time to drop off our things, and head back out. I wanted to support Derek, Mr. Hayashi’s son, and friend of mine in teaching a dance class that night. Shea loooooooooves dancing, and by love I really mean abhors, and would be happy if he never ever had to lift a finger or toe to music. Unfortunately for him, he chose a boogie-down queen, and I love to dance even when there isn’t an occasion. Quick tangent…Shea and I were in Pita Pit once and a song came on so I decided to interpretive dance it in front of everyone directly to him, he was super embarrassed, and I loved it! Anyway back on track. We went to the dance and Shea was actually pretty good. I loved having the opportunity to dance with him.
            We walked outside after the dance was over, and saw a little car zipping into the parking lot…I knew it was Hayashi. We embraced, and it felt so good to be back in his company. When we got back to his house we stayed up talking to him until 3:00AM. We relived old choir memories, and stories we did not want to ever forget. I even acted out my inner monologue to several of these stories, which happened to be comical to my surprise. When we hit 3AM I thought we should go to bed, I mean Hayashi is getting his Doctorate, he needs his beauty sleep. 
            The next day, Friday to be exact, we went to class with Hayashi. Who needs coffee when you get to listen to Hayden at 9AM?  After that a brief study sesh in the library, followed by weird music theory (I can’t remember the official name of it right now, but it was really bizarre, Shea can help me with this later). The best part about the school day was choir, his director was hilarious. Plus the choir was singing Mozart, and it’s pretty hard to go wrong with Mozart (well you can, but they didn’t).
            New York Voices came after the class to give a clinic in vocal jazz, which was AMAZING! We saw them that night, and their performance was flawless. I do not have a clue how anyone watching them couldn’t tap a toe, or bob their head. I got to take a picture with them, and I got their autographs. It was totally wicked!
            Saturday we woke up bright and early to go to the Desert Museum in Tucson. I learned quite a bit about birds, and strange desert animals. I was glad to be protected by the wire and glass from some. When we left the museum, we headed to where Mr. Hayashi teaches a small jazz group. I got to sing with them, and it was just like old times.
            Sunday was Shea’s 20’Th birthday. Toni and I made him chocolate ganache, which I fittingly call death by chocolate cake because it is literally to die for. We packed up our things, and ate our final meal together (which was also superb).  After dinner we sight-read Mozart’s Requiem, which was impossible and sounded like a train wreck, at least on my end. We said our goodbyes, and finally flew back to Oregon.
            This pretty much sums up my trip to AZ; actually it doesn’t even scratch the surface really of how amazing it was. At least it gives you an idea. One of the parts I know I will always remember was Toni asking Shea what three blessing he had received in his past year alive. The very first thing Shea said was “Well I guess the biggest blessing would have to be meeting Coleen, and getting to be with her everyday.” I KNOW!!! So amazing right? I shall stop rambling now, and actually do something semi-productive. Until next week…

No comments:

Post a Comment