Musings as I travel through life's journey

Musings as I travel through life's journey

Monday, February 20, 2012

Aborting A Mission

            I am currently on an airplane somewhere over the state of Arizona wishing I were flying to Mexico, and not back to Oregon. At least I am sitting by a very cute sleeping man (Shea), and I am grateful for the free quiet time to write (minus the baby screaming two rows behind us). We had such a wonderful time in Arizona, but more about that in the blog to follow. This blog is to make up for last weeks. There isn’t really a moral to the story that follows this entry; simply a story is all it’s meant to be.
Shea and I went out to lunch at a Chinese restaurant in town.  It was just us and one other pair. We ordered and continued chatting about our day and how school was beating us up in different ways. We both couldn’t help but over hear the other pair’s conversation. At first I thought they were definitely a first date duo trying to talk, which was super awkward. I thought well this may be the first date, but it’s looking like it will be their last. Then Shea said he didn’t think it was a first date he thought it was a father and daughter. I giggled wondering why the conversation sounded so badly to me.
            Shea and I got our food and started chowing down. The couple behind us began their conversation again. The girl kept talking about how she felt it was the right decision, and she didn’t think her mom supported it. Her dad then said you are making the right choice; you’re a freshman in college and not ready to have a baby. Then the bomb hit, you need this abortion the father exclaimed. At this point Shea and I both just gawked at each other. I guess we were surprised because we hear about abortion, but we never really know it’s going on around us in reality.
My heart broke for the girl. I kept waffling back and forth with the idea, should I say something or should I keep quiet. I wasn’t sure what I’d say, maybe lower your voice. Or maybe I’ll be praying for you, or perhaps don’t do it! I just felt like I should say something, even though it was not my place at all to do so. We both left around the same time. When I looked back at their table I noticed the father had left his glasses. I wondered if this was a sign, maybe I was supposed to run them to him and say something. So I grabbed them, and shouted after them, they did not hear me. I was not sure why I felt so strongly, but I did. I am glad I didn’t end up talking to them after all. Like I said there were just no perfect words to say. 

No comments:

Post a Comment