Musings as I travel through life's journey

Musings as I travel through life's journey

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Going...going...gone!


            Well…it’s the fifth week of photography and I have never been more frustrated with something in my life! The first week started like any other, everything was easy. I was catching on really quickly, as per usual. When we hit photo shop everything went down hill. I would spend three hours editing one photo (a photo I wasn’t even happy with in the first place), and still after the three hours felt like I had accomplished nothing. I was excited about film photography, and the idea of developing, and printing my own photos. Until, week five rolled around and we actually started developing film. That was probably the most stressful experience of my life. “So we put the film in this container for 30 seconds, then the next for 2 minutes, then the next for 6 minutes, while it's pitch black? Then wait…wait…wait, you lost me at putting the film in the container.” Not to mention we have to put the film into the container totally and completely blind!
Even if my photos aren’t very good, I am learning a lot which I did not expect to learn. I am learning that flaws are okay. I am learning that if I don’t listen to clear instruction, I am going to have a crappy outcome. I am also learning to be happy with the finished project, because it took me 80 10 steps to get there, so I might as well enjoy it. I am also learning that once I snap a photo, I can never go back to that moment. Every picture is unique in that way. Each photo is a time capsule, taking me back to a memory which will only happen once. Even if I tried to re-create a scene, or an idea, the photo still wouldn't be the same. Either because the elements have changed over time, or the people have changed over time. This idea is what I appreciate most about photography: we only have one shot in life, and we had better take it when we have the opportunity, because once it’s gone, it’s gone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment