Musings as I travel through life's journey

Musings as I travel through life's journey

Friday, July 20, 2012

Laters London

Man oh man! One minute I was on the tube headed for London for five weeks, the next I am saying goodbye to all my teachers who taught me everything I know about journalism. Time is such a funny thing. It is the perfect day to be teary eyed in London, the weather is gloomy, and my last day is slowly coming to an end. These past five weeks have been magical, and I know I will NEVER forget them. I have the most bittersweet feeling in the pit of my tummy. I am sad to be leaving London and all of the new friends I have made, but so excited to be headed to Paris. Okay I do not want this whole post to be so melancholy so I will tell you a little bit about my last few days here.

A couple days ago (and by a couple I mean I have no idea because I clearly cannot keep track of the days here) I went to the Tate Modern. I loved it! A lot of people don't like modern art, and I can understand why. People look at something and say, "shmhh I could make that." Well you didn't and that's why it's hanging in this museum without your name by it. Also some of the pieces are a tad weird.  For example, a string inside a frame. Some would say marvelous! I look at it and see a string inside a frame. However, one piece that stood out to me was of a microscopic sized woman sweeping a huge and long pile of dirt. This signified that a woman's days work is always humongous, and is never really finished. The other art that I did not care for was the poop on a stick piece. That is just not art to me, it is literally and figuratively poop! Any-who after the Tate Modern I walked over the Millennium Bridge (which is in Harry Potter) and saw St. Pauls Cathedral. The Cathedral was ginormous and had 530 steps to climb for a beautiful view of London. Naturally, the asthma I have that I do not actually have set in and I was huffin and puffin around the 20 step mark, but I persisted. On the way up I thought about the Olympians and how that task would be so easy for them, then my mind wandered to what step I was on, finally, when I reached the top the Hallelujah chorus sprang into life in my head. The view was breathtaking, and of course because I had done all that work, and climbed all those stairs, when I went to take a picture, my camera was dead. Which is sadder for you all than it is for me, I will always have a mental picture of that the view was like that day.

Last night we all went to Proud Camden which is in Camden Town where Amy Winehouse is from. The town looked like a circus or carnival. Little huts on the sides of the street with sketchy people, lights, and protruding figures from buildings (not for the faint of heart or mind). The club Proud Camden was in old horse stables which was awesome! The atmosphere was so unique and different compared to any other club we had gone to previously. Lights, loud music, separated by barn doors, and stables. I left before the tube closed because there was no way in heck I was getting lost in Camden Town.

Today I head to Shakespeare's Globe as my final ticketed event for my London trip. There is so much I got to do, and so much I still want to do (which is great because it gives me an excuse to come back)! I have to pack tonight which should be a fun experiment since I bought so much stuff while I was here. I ripped out the pages of Rick Steve's Guide that I need for the rest of my trip and donated it to the school. I will be in London tomorrow until around 5pm, but I am going to try and write my last feature for my arts class, so I probably won't have time to go to any museums. If I can, I will go to the Victoria and Albert Collection, and the Imperial War Museum. I am starting to get teary eyed just thinking about leaving, so I need to go and preoccupy myself with something else. Cheers mates!

No comments:

Post a Comment