Musings as I travel through life's journey

Musings as I travel through life's journey

Monday, July 23, 2012

Bonjour Paris!

Saying goodbye to London and hopping on the train to Paris was a much sadder experience than I ever thought it would be. I looked out the window and then I was in tunnel as I was transported under water to France. I was served the smallest meal known to man, with a little bottle of wine. When the train arrived a man offered to help me lift my pack because it weighs 100 pounds (I gladly accepted). People say the metro in Paris is one of the best in the world, well not as good as London! The line I needed to get to my hostel was closed so I had to hike to another. I finally got to the one I needed and got on. I got off where I needed to and followed the signs to the next line which led me out onto the street in a sketchy neighborhood. I quickly went back underground and tried to find where I was supposed to go again, finally I succeeded. I got off at my stop and hailed a taxi. He drove me to my hostel, which was about a five minute walk away from the metro haha oh well at least I wasn't trying to find it in the dark alone.

The Loft is the hostel I am currently staying in. It is only a month new and pretty lovely. My only complaints are there are not any lockers, and my door does not lock. Everything else is wonderful, and I have met great people that I'm rooming with. One of the girls is from Italy and told me two weeks would be wonderful there. She said she would tell me where to go in Rome, what to eat, and how to have a fabulous two weeks!

I have seen and done so much in Paris these past two days it is crazy! On the first day, which was Sunday I saw Moulin Rouge, Champs- Elysees (where we accidentally saw the Tour de France end), Arc de Triomphe, Sacre-Coeur, and Montmartre. Today we went to Notre-Dame Cathedral, Memorial de la Deportation, Saint-Chapelle, Pont Neuf, the Seine, left bank, the Obelisk, the Eiffel Tower, and the Louvre. Oh sheesh I could spend a week in there and not have seen it all. I saw Venus de milo, the Mona Lisa, Egyptian Sphinx, and Winged Victory of Samothrace. Those were the most impressive! I stood in front of the Mona Lisa for 20 minutes just in awe. I wanted to cry and jump for joy all at once. The feeling it invokes in everyone must be different. I thought it was amazing, I know a lot of people get disappointed when they see how small it is. I was not disappointed at all it was what I expected and more! No picture has or will ever do it justice, I can say that much.

I love Paris, it is so gorgeous. People can drive motor cycles, and vespas on the sidewalk, which is very scary. I am almost more scared of bikers than I am of cars. I am still having the time of my life and I have two more days here. I could not be happier, Paris is a dream. Oh and I ate a huge Nutella crepe and I can honestly say it was awesome, but not as good as Madame's (maybe I am biased) I think I have enough that I worked off everything I ate in London, here, and in Rome (and I have not even eaten there yet). I am officially pooped for the day so I am going to head out. My next post will most likely be from Rome. Gosh, is this real life? A tout a l'heure!

No comments:

Post a Comment