Musings as I travel through life's journey

Musings as I travel through life's journey

Thursday, August 2, 2018

NGO Networking in Niedersachsen


            Moin! That’s simply a regional greeting from where I have been living these past few months, Hannover, Lower Saxony (Niedersachsen). When I got the job as the Facilitation and Program Manager working for a niche leadership, technology, and advisory service firm and moved to Germany for the summer I had no idea what would be in store for me. I knew I would be designing and facilitating learning sessions for various clientele. I would be helping to improve the company for which I worked. I would be working hand in hand with the CEO to help refine business processes which focused on human centered design and systems thinking methodology which I was able to master at MIIS in my previous semesters. What I did not know was how much networking my boss wanted me to do. This happened to be the highlight of my experience this summer, as well as what I learned most from the work I got to be a part of these past few months.

            There was a steep learning curve to the work my boss wanted me to do and for the first month of work I felt completely incompetent and I had a terrible case of imposter syndrome. “Why am I here and why did I think I could do this job?” Then I remembered something I learned from my days on the stage and in theater, I simply had to fake it to make it. I also remembered countless teachings from MIIS about what I needed to do and how I could do it. So, for the next few weeks I did as much research as I could on what he needed from me, how I could shine through it all, and lastly, ways in which I could help the company grow.

            I came up with a social marketing plan and launched it to the CEO, to my surprise he loved it! I was shocked. I had no idea what I came up with would ever make it anywhere. He was thrilled with the idea of networking to get closer to clients and supporters in Germany and he was happy he had a friendly person willing to do the ground work to make it happen. I got in touch with InterNations, a company working with Expats in Germany looking to make connections in the area to help build businesses, NGOs, and friendships abroad.

            There are a number of experiences which I was a part of this summer that impacted not only my personal life, but my professional career. My immersive learning experience provided to me affected how I view myself in a professional setting. I would say this affected me on a personal level because before this summer I was not sure I could consider myself a professional. Now, after having several successful projects finished with clients and feeling positive about the work I submit to the CEO I feel confident in my skills and abilities as a professional in this world.

            As for the professional setting, not only did I gain skills in Dynamics 365 CRM, I also created a training curriculum for the program, and started a networking template to build and expand the company. I was able to meet people from all over the world through InterNations and I know these connections will also aid in my future career prospects. My experience this summer was an unforgettable one, one which would not have been possible without the support of my home institution Middlebury at Monterey, the Immersive Learning Experience program, and also my own determination, to seek out opportunities wherever I may be.

Danke und auf Wiedersehen (Thank you and farewell)

No comments:

Post a Comment